Dental crowns and bridges are both tooth restoration options with different applications. A dental crown resembles a natural tooth on the outside but is hollow on the inside, so it can fit appropriately depending on its use.
A dental bridge is an extensive oral appliance that replaces missing teeth, one or more so long as they are in a row. In many cases, a bridge may use dental crowns to cap healthy teeth, allowing the bridge teeth to fill in smile gaps.
How We Use Dental Crowns in Los Gatos, CA
Dr. Lin and his team of dental professionals utilize dental crowns in several ways. The most frequent applications are:
- To restore a damaged tooth that may otherwise fall apart
- To protect the remaining tooth structure after root canal therapy
- To cover discolored tooth surfaces for aesthetic reasons
- To top off a dental implant
- As part of a dental bridge
A crown is usually fabricated in an outside dental lab and made from porcelain to be strong and last long. Dr. Lin will also ensure your crown fits well to resist becoming dislodged during use.
A dental bridge is fused to dental crowns. A dental bridge attaches to adjacent natural teeth but may also attach to a dental implant post.